Friday, April 29

Final Post for Baja




There was one other area that I had been looking at on the map that I thought I'd check out before really putting the gas down to get back to the border.  The town of Guerrero Negro doesn't really offer much other than a spot to gas up and re-supply but I had been told of an old abandoned lighthouse which sounded interesting.  It's located at Puerto V. Caranza at the end of a spit which protrudes out in Laguna Gerrero Negro.  Since I was arriving in Guerrero late afternoon I decided to make the drive out and spend the night.  Pretty interesting place as it appears to be an old fish processing plant as well as the old lighthouse.  I even discovered some old graves that were in a strange place down between some decaying cement structures.  I'm assuming they placed the graves here since it was in the middle of the spit and the probability of flooding the graves was less. Pure speculation on my part but it was all I could come up with. Nothing that would indicate a cemetery, just some old grave sites randomly placed.  Looking across the laguna here you see miles and miles of some of the most beautiful sand dunes I've seen anywhere.  They are located on Isla Arena and it is inaccessible by vehicle, according to the maps.   If coming back here I think I'd see about trying to hire a boat to make the short crossing and spend some time exploring the dunes.  Looking at the shoreline with binoculars it appears there is absolutely nothing out there other than the pristine dunes.

What appears to be old grave sites down between the structures.

Old fish processing station.

 Another view of the structures and lighthouse.



Lots of birdlife out on the spit.

Following morning, it was back through some military checkpoints and then north to the border with a mandatory stop at Coco's Corner. Speaking of military checkpoints, a friend of mine gave me a video that someone he knew had put together.  Thought I'd post it up here as it's pretty funny.  Checkpoints down here are fairly straight forward.  As long as you aren't hauling anything illegal and don't act like an idiot, it's just a matter of allowing them to look around & ask a few questions before they send you on your way. I even kinda enjoy them as most of the time the guys are pretty bored and it's fun interacting with them. They always seem to be more interested in Petey than anything else I've got. Click on the link below to view.


Coco's Corner is about to change over the next few years.  Currently, from south of Gonzaga Bay to Chapala is a rough dirt road.  Coco's Corner sits about half way on this 30-mile route and has been a local landmark for many years with historical ties to the Baja 1000. Coco himself is a legend amongst racers, bikers and visitors to the Baja peninsula. A unique stop with a unique proprietor on this dusty, rough ass dirt road it has been visited by countless travelers over the years.  I fear this is all about to change as the new highway is under construction with the new route bypassing Coco's place. I was surprised at the amount of work that had been completed on it just in the past year since I'd been down.  Coco, who is in his 80's, told me that he doesn't want to live long enough to see the highway completed. There won't be another character like Coco once he's gone. It just won't be the same accessing Coco's Corner via a major highway.  Although change is slow in coming in Baja, it is inevitable. 

Clip from YouTube of Coco.  

A picture of Coco from last years trip.

After visiting Coco, I ended up bumping along the preferred "dirt road" before breaking out on the pavement near Gonzaga Bay where I camped for the night.  Following day, I made the crossing back over into the states at Mexicali. From there it was one more night of camping out in the desert on the US side where I needed to retrieve my buried pistol. I travel with a pistol while in the states (no...I'm not an armed nut job) and of course didn't take it into Mexico as that will land you in big trouble, real quick. I simply wrap the pistol in an oiled cloth, double bag it in gallon zip lock bags, mark the spot with GPS coordinates and bury it.  Thousands of desert acres to choose from so it's not a problem finding a remote site. Gun shops in the area want to charge you for storing it and since it's not some expensive piece, I just go the cheaper route and bury it. Plus I can retrieve it whenever I cross back over and not have to wait on someone to be open. As long as no one sees you digging your hole it should be there when you get back.  


 Final Baja moon as viewed from camp at Gonzaga Bay.  Was a great ten weeks in Baja and as I watched this moon come up over the hills I could only hope I'd be back one day.

Joshua Tree and Death Valley National Parks next.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome all comments to the blog, but due to spammers, all comments will be approved by the moderator prior to posting. Thanks for your comments.