Friday, April 15

Deeper into Baja - Part 11


Decisions, decisions.  Should I stay in the southern part of Baja for another few weeks or begin the slow crawl back to the north and return to the states?  I've mentioned it before in a previous post while I was in Alaska.  The urge to start picking up the pace once I reach the turn around point can take hold if I don't recognize it.  Not once on the drive down did I ask myself...when should I get back. Now that my compass direction had spun 180 degrees, the question lingered.  I reminded myself to slow back down and set about planning a few stops along the way to the border.  After leaving Todos Santos we simply pounded out the miles, backtracking over pavement we'd already done coming down, until reaching an area south of Loretto.   We had been told of a nice beach area not far from Loreto that was somewhat unknown, didn't get a lot of use and had some good camping.  Once again, after a few wrong turns, couple of dead ends, we eventually found a nice beach with just a couple of other campers.  We discovered at the end of the beach that with just a short blast of four wheeling through some soft sand the camping got even better and afforded us with a private spot.  



 Waynes first priority when setting up.....kitchen camp.



While in Cabo roaming around Costco munching on free samples I ended up buying a paddle board.  Go in for free samples and come out with an overpriced board!  Now that we were back on the calmer Sea of Cortez side it was time to break it out. (photo by Wayne)

Many small coves to explore along the coast.


Couple of small islands off the coast from camp where we paddled out to do some snorkeling and fishing. Wayne with a puffer fish





(photo by Wayne)

From one of the small bays along the coast, I took out and portaged overland to another small cove.  The hike and carry saved miles of paddling down the coastline. Wayne was out in the open ocean somewhere as the kayak can certainly handle longer distances and rougher water.  Explored this cove and then carried back across.  I paid for this little excursion the following day as I tweaked my back during the carry. The following morning I was so "stove up" I thought I'd eventually have to have the camper cut off from around me. It was touch and go. For everyone who understands the confinement factor of a Four Wheel Camper, you can relate to the trauma of de-bedding and exiting one in an invalid state.  It was ugly my friends! It was a herculean effort to simply get out of the rack, much less the camper.  The paddleboard received limited use over the next couple of days & when it did, post paddle rest was necessary! With some stretching, aspirin, beer & come to Jesus talk....I eventually recovered. I will say that the paddle board appears to be a nice option when overlanding.  It packs up small, is easily stored and can be set up in short order. On it, you can easily access some of the closer islands and remote coves along the coastline. Nice option when camped near "flat water".  I'm sure I'll end up using it often on future trips but may skip the longer overland portages.

Neighborhood buzzard waiting for the bad back to finish me off. 

Recuperation. Not only can you do some exploring on it but it also makes a nice nap platform for man and beast alike. (photo by Wayne)

 Just over the rise in this picture was a beautiful sandy beach.  Yea, I know. No pictures or it wasn't really there.

Ike and Wayne in camp. 

After a few nights we'd move on a little further north up the coastline. Our next camp proved to be a good one... I stayed for a full week.  Wayne, even longer, as this would be the point where we parted company. I would continue the northern exodus to the border while Wayne put down roots and I think ended up staying over two weeks in this one spot. More on this area in the next post......

5 comments:

  1. Don't hurry home Park. Take your time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous15/4/16

    Friends for life! Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic stories and photo's! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camilla16/4/16

    You mentioned earlier somewhere on your blog that you were part of an Internet group that like the same camping style? Could I have a link? I think I might head to Baja next year and would like to see what others are also doing. I have loved following this Baja trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camilla...go to http://expeditionportal.com/ It's a site dedicated to Overland Adventure Travel and I think you'll find whatever you want here. If you have any specific questions regarding travel in Baja ask away. I'm certainly no expert but will be glad to help. If you go down next year you'll love it and thanks for following along on my blog. Nice knowing the effort to keep it updated is appreciated.

      Delete

We welcome all comments to the blog, but due to spammers, all comments will be approved by the moderator prior to posting. Thanks for your comments.