Monday, May 2

Joshua Tree - Death Valley


Now that I was back across the border & retrieved my buried goods I opted to return to some old haunts I'd been to many times in the past. Joshua Tree and Death Valley National Parks.  Although I've been to both parks several times over the years, they seem to keep drawing me back. A friend of mine had emailed me while still in Baja that Death Valley was scheduled to have a super bloom this year.  Each year the valley floor has a spring bloom but when conditions are right every so often a "super bloom" occurs.  Supposedly this was one of those years so I couldn't miss that. Both parks have remote areas, great camping, photo opportunities, history and plenty of hiking.   I layed up in Quartzsite a couple of nights and then pushed on to Joshua Tree only to find the park overrun with......people.  The spring weather had arrived and with it the hoards of campers.  In Joshua Tree camping outside of the campgrounds is not permitted and I could not find an empty campsite.  There are several campgrounds throughout the park and not one empty spot!  It was just as well as I'm not a fan of packed campgrounds.  If you time your visit right there are some great campgrounds if they aren't full and worth the cost involved.  I'd say that Joshua Tree has some of the best-established campgrounds of any of our National Parks. However, my timing was way off.  Luckily I knew of a mining road (Old Dale Road) from a previous visit that starts in the park but exits about 10 miles later to the north.  It's an old mining district with lots of old shafts and related equipment. Once crossing the park boundary the road turns into some bonafide four wheeling terrain and camping is permitted anywhere as there are thousands of open acres.  You could probably get away with some stealth camping in the park if you were to choose the right spot but seeing as how crowded the park was I figured the rangers would be out in full force.  Chances of being spotted were probably high so I followed the rules and went in search of some remote camping.  It was worth the ten miles of dusty, beat up road to have the desert all to myself that evening.  Following morning, I retraced my route back down the old mining road to re-enter the park where I spent the day hiking and just roaming around. 

 Old mining stuff.

Old shafts you can explore but they're really dangerous and I wouldn't recommend going in to far.

 Abandoned in the desert.

 View from a hike near an established campground in the park.

 Old mining equipment.

 Joshua Tree is a major area for climbers with many routes throughout the park.  I shot this picture while sitting at a picnic table at one of the campsites.

Lots of hiking, unique rock formations and arches.

Friend at camp that evening.

I spent one more night in Joshua Tree and then headed to what I consider one of my favorite National Parks....Death Valley. There are others that stand out...Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grant Teton, Wrangell-St. Elias, Katmai, and Denali but the scale and remote areas one can get to by vehicle is unsurpassed in Death Valley. All of these parks get crowded depending on the season but in Death Valley with a four wheel drive vehicle, it's possible to escape.  Plus, remote camping is permitted in most areas.  That "area" is large as Death Valley is our fifth largest national park. Backpacking in the others mentioned will do the trick but in Death Valley...it's possible via vehicle or foot. 

Super bloom was occurring across the valley floor.




Camp along road leading into Stripe Butte Valley.

If one knows where to look and doesn't mind a little hiking, some "au naturel" soaking can be found even in the dry parched desert.


 Talc mines.








 Badwater Basin (282 ft. below sea level)  Lowest point in the United States.

Another unique thing about Death Valley is the remote cabins spread throughout the park.  The park left the old mining and prospector cabins once they were incorporated into the park boundaries.  Over the years, various groups have taken it upon themselves to maintain the cabins.  They are open to all, free of charge, on a first come basis.  Everyone who uses them is on the honor system to leave them better than they found them.  Past visitors even leave canned goods, candles, and various items for use if needed. Some of them have fallen into disrepair and the danger of Hantavirus due to rodent droppings is a factor, but most are usable.  I've stayed in a few different ones over the years but my favorite is the Old Geologist's Cabin in Stripe Butte Valley.  It's remote, requires a few hours of off-road driving to get to and has a spectacular view over looking the valley. One can hike for miles, climb nearby peaks and explore until your heart's content here.  Petey and I got lucky this time through and found it unoccupied.  We set up camp and stayed three nights.


By flying the flag it notifies others coming up the valley that the cabin is occupied.  I saw two other vehicles in the three days I was in here. 

Interior of cabin.  Fresh spring on the hillside out front so easy access to good water while here.

Petey spent his evenings watching wild burros and rabbits while I read, enjoyed the view and solitude.

I climbed the Butte one afternoon.  An easy climb coming in from the left and a walk up to the top.




Placard on the steps.  Was spotless when I got here and was the same when I departed.  Even left a few cans of soup and sardines as some form of payment. Almost feel guilty staying here and not contributing something. Better spot to spend the night than any five star resort!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite a jackass in that one pic! (You guess which one.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about your trips I wish I wanted to get as off-road as you because it sure looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about your trips I wish I wanted to get as off-road as you because it sure looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see Park in the parks with Petie! Awesome photos! I was in the Geologist cabin four weeks ago and the the pass up to the Barker Ranch (Charles Manson's hideout) required a rock crawler. We helped a Ford Sportmobile get unstuck and back down towards Striped Butte. I missed the "super bloom" which I've heard only lasts about ten days. Glad to see you captured it on film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I was going to go out over Mengle pass but heard it was in pretty bad shape. I've been up to Manson's old hideout before via motorcyle but never with the truck. I thought about it as I wanted to head back to the west and not have to go back through Furnace Creek. In the end, I opted not to crawl out over the pass and took the easier route. Next time you hear of a "super bloom" plan a trip. It's pretty spectacular to see the whole valley floor in bloom. Thanks for the compliment on the photos.

      Delete
  5. Death Valley has been on my bucket list for several years. This confirms the list needs to be updated to priority. I need to learn how to take pictures like you do so I can share also.

    Nice trip report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of our National Parks that is a must do. One of my top three National Parks to visit. Big secret to really enjoying Death Valley is to try and get off the beaten path. You won't regret going. Thanks for the compliment on the pictures.

      Delete

We welcome all comments to the blog, but due to spammers, all comments will be approved by the moderator prior to posting. Thanks for your comments.