Sunday, April 19

Southwest Arizona

I had a hard time leaving the Sedona area.  Had planned on a couple of days and ended up spending 7 nights.  I had to force myself to get out of there.  Weather was perfect, hiking and riding is superb and I had some great campsites.  I wanted to go down to the southwest portion of Arizona as I had been told of some nice areas to explore.  Plus, I figured I'd stop in and see the college man "London" at his campus in ASU.  Spent the night in London's dorm room, ate at the campus dining hall, got a tour of the campus and went to see a bad movie (The Kingsman) with London before departing early the next morning.  Was fun stopping in to see London. I was headed to the Huchuca Mountain Range just outside of Sierra Vista.  From there I planned on doing some riding and checking out the old west towns of Bisbee and Tombstone.  First night I dry camped out on some BLM land came across the first picture. Survived the night and unloaded the bike the following morning and spent the better part of the day riding along the border and up in some canyons in the Huchuca Range.  You can literally ride along the border fence for hundreds of miles in this sector.  It's a fun road and the scenery is good.  Get tired of this and you just head north back towards the mountain range.  Border Patrol told me I shouldn't have any problems but if I see guys wearing big backpacks while in the mountains to hightail it out of there as they would be drug smugglers.

Border Patrol drag these tires along the strip and then go back to check for footprints.  All the technology we have and this is one method we're using to control the border.

Got a little rain and the desert cactus were in full bloom.




After two days and nights in the Sierra Vista area I broke camp and moved over to the old mining 
town of Bisbee, Az.  Figured I'd stay one night and just walk around town that evening.  Met this local sitting out front of his place and got a verbal tour of the town while sitting with him.

After one night in Bisbee I moved north to Tombstone.  Pretty touristy with the all the gift shops and staged gun fights but one thing they do have is $1.00 beer and it's ice cold!  No this isn't happy hour or some special it's $1.00 all the time.  I thought the day of the $1.00 beer was long gone.  This may be reason enough to move to Tombstone.










1 comment:

We welcome all comments to the blog, but due to spammers, all comments will be approved by the moderator prior to posting. Thanks for your comments.