Tuesday, March 31

Mission's of Baja

On my way south I had noted some mission's I wanted to check out and decided to do them on my trip back to the north.  The missions pictured were built in the late 1600 or early 1700 time period by the Jesuit's.  When visiting San Javier there was a very old man up front at the altar praying.  Not wanting to disturb him I hung out at the back of the mission until he was finished.  Once he saw me he was all over me wanting to give me a tour.  Didn't speak a word of English but I followed him around anyway as he pointed out features of the church and cemetery.  Once the tour was over, a miracle occurred and he was able to come up with three English words.  Donation for him!  Thought it was funny so gave him $50 pesos if nothing else for his divine vision to make a quick buck.

Mission San Javier







Mission Loreto























Mission San Ignacio



















































Mission San Borja.  This one was really unique as it's about a 5 hour off-road excursion to visit. Slow going in a vehicle getting in here with four wheel required in a couple of spots.   After the drive in I was the only person in there and got a tour by by one of the inhabitants at the the mission.  A family of eight live in here full time and run a small ranch while also looking after the mission.  His family has been living in this area for seven generations. The young man pictured with the horses gave me a tour and spoke english well enough to where I could understand everything he was telling me.  Was really interesting as he took me throughout the mission and was very knowledgeable on its history. Well worth the time it took to drive back in here.





































2 comments:

  1. Visiting the various missions was one of the highlights of my last Baja trip. I hope to checkfew more when I go back in November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trevor...wish I could go down with you in November. Brad and I went down with a group of guys once for the running of the Baja 1000 and it was a lot of fun. Watching those monster trucks hauling ass across the desert is something to see. Have fun and post up a lot of pics when you get the chance. Are you taking a bike down or just pulling the camper?

    ReplyDelete

We welcome all comments to the blog, but due to spammers, all comments will be approved by the moderator prior to posting. Thanks for your comments.