Monday, May 9

North Cascade National Park



My trip to Baja and points in between was coming to an end as I slowly worked my way back to Tacoma.  The trip down to Baja had been a good one but I needed to get back to the real world.  I always have mixed emotions when returning from a trip.  I dread coming back to a city with its traffic,  surplus people, and hectic pace but force myself to accept it in order to see loved ones again.  Saving grace is that.... "next trip".  It's certainly not for everyone but the simple life of living on the road suits me.  Pairing down to the essentials one needs, living simply,  solitude when needed, no set schedule, not knowing what new acquaintances will be made or adventures await, all major attractions to being on the road. As each year passes and the number of days spent roaming about increases it becomes clearer to me that time and simplicity trump the alternative. After a few short weeks back in the city the opportunity presented itself to spend a couple of nights in the North Cascade National Park. As fate would have it, two nights turned stretched into five.  This would be my first trip to the park but it certainly won't be my last.  Scenery and hiking are mainstays and easily found here. Petey and I roamed about for a couple of days in the park proper and then exited on the east side to check out the Methow Valley which is home to the towns of Mazama and Winthrop, Washington. We had planned a big loop to get home but after spending a few more days in the Methow Valley, we did a 180 and went back through the National Park.  It was that good.

Diablo Lake

With a heavy snowpack this year the runoff was strong in some of the smaller creeks. Water was cascading from many high points throughout the park.





A recent slide near the pass.

Tail end of the slide.


As it was early in the season most of the backroads and campgrounds were void of people.

 Home in the Methow Valley outside of Mazama.



Outside of Mazama and Winthrop are countless Forest Service Roads where one can free camp and explore. Still early in the season many of these roads had not been cleared of fallen timber and snow was still prevalent in the high country.  We'd explore till stymied by snow or fallen trees before heading off down another road. We tried to piece together backroads from Winthrop to Concully but were turned back due to heavy snow. Camping in here Petey and I had it all to ourselves.


 We hiked in down this road to see if we could get through but it wasn't worth the try.  Truck was about a half mile back but you could see where someone had tried to come in from the other side. To get here we had to do a little tow strap work to remove some downed trees.  Moving one or two isn't too bad but sometimes you'll move one just to find more just around the next corner. Turns into work real fast.



 East of Winthrop looking back towards the North Cascade Range. Talking with a ranger after camping in here he asked if I'd heard any wolves howling at night.  I hadn't and didn't realize there were wolves in the area.  Also, there has been some grizzly sightings in the park which is a rarity in this area.  Apparently a few have migrated down out of Canada. Always give the woods a little "added flavor" when there is the possibility of a grizzly roaming about.

Old abandoned cabin west of Twisp. We hiked in here but with a little road clearing, you could get to this.  Great spot to camp.

They've had some recent fires in this area and the contrast between the valleys that had recovered and the heavily wooded burnt areas were evident.



Headed south to attend the Overland West Expo in about another week.  Not sure of the route (I never am until I get on it) to get there just yet but will post something up afterwards.........

6 comments:

  1. Nice to see a change of pallet in these photos after so many miles of sepia desert.
    After Baja I was starting to believe that water doesn’t flow above ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the scenery is just a little different between Baja and the PNW. Both good in their own right.

      Delete
  2. Hey! Hope to see you at the Expo! I'll be volunteering in the First Aid Tent in the mornings, and camping in my FWC Fleet with doggies! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it won't be a mud fest this year. I'll be volunteering this year as well but not sure exactly what they'll have me doing.

      Delete
  3. I finally got to see the North Cascades via motorcycle a couple years ago. Beautiful! So close to Portland, where I've lived all my life, but so different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been living in the PNW for the past 20 years and this was my first time into the North Cascades National Park. Boy I screwed that one up.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome all comments to the blog, but due to spammers, all comments will be approved by the moderator prior to posting. Thanks for your comments.