Tuesday, July 28

Headed North

Finally got some last minutes details taken care of with the truck and camper and was able to point it north towards Alaska.  This will be my third time driving up and hope to get off the main road and explore some stuff I haven't had the chance to in the past.  Have driven up the Cassiar and the Alcan so not sure which route I'll be on this time.  Will make the decision once I get north of Prince George. Of course, any drive to Alaska one has to deal with the ungodly traffic getting through Seattle.  Tiffany tries to convince me that some people love living there and the traffic and masses of people don't bother them.  I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that as it bothers me in a big way.  The traffic was at a crawl on a 6 lane interstate for well over an hour.  Sitting there watching people texting, cutting others off, blowing their horn as they try and move up one space, flipping one another off, etc., etc., it doesn't appear to me that they're very happy. Just my observation though.  

Didn't get as far north as I had planned due to the traffic so decided to stop for the night prior to crossing the border.  Beautiful campsite......WalMart parking lot.  Wasn't a total loss though as I met some fellow campers either going north or returning back to the states.  Sat around over a couple of cold ones and discussed past and planned travels.  Guy in the large, very expensive motorhome, told me that the definition of a Canadian snowbird is someone driving a half million dollar motorhome looking for a "free" place to park it.


After the WalMart Rally and crossing the border the following morning I made a wrong turn somewhere outside of Vancouver and ended up having to drive right through the heart of downtown.  Took awhile but was fun doing some people watching as I worked my way through the downtown corridor.

Finally broke out of the congestion of Seattle and Vancouver and got on the Sea to Sky Highway headed up towards Whistler.  Was getting late so started looking for a campsite.  Had to stop and take a picture of this.  Big sign out on the road advertising campsites for $35.  Again, Tiffany tells me that some people like camping like this.  Once again, I'm not getting it.  One can be crammed in like this where you can hear the camper next to you fart.

To each his own but I opt for a different experience.


Kept working my way north finding some more good sites over the next few days.




Days have consisted of short drives, some road repairs and of course taking Petey on some hikes a couple of times a day.  We usually stop during the day at least once and do a three or four mile hike.  Petey gets his hikes or he's none too happy.  So many good hiking trails along the roads here in BC.  Petey on the prowl for bear!




Not much in the way of wildlife so far other than a few moose and one bear crossing the road but no real photo opportunities.  Hopefully, that will improve.  I have however seen some sign that bear are in the area while out on a few hikes.


When I win the lottery I'm trading in my rig for this.  Ran across this family travelling in this sweet rig.  It's a massive rig so not real sure where you could take it but the living would be fine in it.  It's just so big you couldn't really do much off road stuff with it.  God forbid you ever bury this thing in the mud.  The thought of digging this thing out back in the bush by yourself would not be a fun day.  Looks cool rolling down the pavement though.



















8 comments:

  1. I think the reason so many of us accepted traffic and crowds for so many years was because we didn't know any better. And a lucky handful saw through the romantic BS of "city life." Park, your life is the vacation many of us dream of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To each his own but I agree with you. City life is a whole bunch of bullshit in my book. If I never had to go to a city again that would be fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the last photo. What a great comparison shot. You aren't exactly suffering with your rig, either. Keep Petey safe from the bears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try but it's a full time job watching after Petey. He almost got tangled up with a porcupine yesterday. Not a good thing!

      Delete
  4. I too love the comparison photo! Is there enough to that little trailer of yours to be able to back it up, or do you have to disconnect it? I'm jealous of your travels. I'm 47 and can retire in 6 years, so I hope to have many years to experience some fun travel. I especially an interested in Baja. Sometime in the future I'd like to talk to you specifically about your baja adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, can't see any of it pulling it down the road. I can back it as long as I'm needing to turn it one way or the other. Super easy to disconnect though and swing it by hand. I've gotten in a few spots on some back roads where I didn't have room to turn around or back it up. Had to disconnect to get the truck turned around. Be glad to answer any questions you may have on Baja.

      Delete
  5. OK, we're ready for your next post... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon. Been out in some pretty remote areas and just haven't had the time or any wi-fi. Am currently in Denali where I plan to lay up for a few days so if I can find some decent wi-fi while in the village area I'll get an update posted.

      Delete

We welcome all comments to the blog, but due to spammers, all comments will be approved by the moderator prior to posting. Thanks for your comments.