Saturday, March 28

Gringo at the fights!

After leaving Aqua Verde I made my way back to Loreto.  Not much in the way of camping in Loreto so I took off down a side road and went in about 5 miles.  Came up on a small ranch and asked the owner if I could camp for the night.  No problemo!  Was set up when I hear a knock on the door about an hour after dark.  Owner telling me to grab my camera and to come with him.  Seemed like a nice enough guy how bad it could be.  Once in the truck told me we were going to a cockfight!  This would be a first for me.  When walking in I stood out like a neon sign.  Needless to say I was the only Gringo in sight and was getting some stares as I don't think they have many of us show up for the fights down here.  Was quite the experience.



























Found it strange how they would hold and stroke the bird like it was a pet but when the time came would allow it to fight.  Many of the fights ended in one bird being killed.  Lots of betting going on with money changing hands after each fight.  Was very interesting observing the interaction between the participants and their handling of the roosters. I certainly don't condone it but understand that it is part of their culture. 


























They strap on a razor sharp spur to the leg of each bird.  If struck with this it can cause instant death to the other rooster.  The rules are fairly complex to determine a winner if one bird is not killed outright.


One bird lives to fight another day.  The other will fight no more.





















































No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome all comments to the blog, but due to spammers, all comments will be approved by the moderator prior to posting. Thanks for your comments.