Friday, May 27

New Wheels!

Waldport Bridge

I think I have a rare disease.  RV syndrome.  I seem to be always looking at any form of RV's and over the years have owned tear drops, tent campers, clapped out Class C's (which friends referred to as my RPOS - Rolling Piece of Shit), ATV haulers, and Fifth Wheels.  All purchased used and I'll admit, some in better shape than others. Tricked out overland rigs, vans, campers, small & huge Rv's....you name it and I like to look. I even enjoy walking around crowded RV shows drooling over all the new stuff. While surfing Craigslist after my winter in Baja I came across a 1998 Chinook, Class B, that was in mint condition with only 36,000 miles on it.  I've looked at these before as I like the smaller size but had never come across one in this kind of shape.   Mint doesn't begin to describe its condition.  Owner still had plastic covering over the carpet and had been storing it in an airplane hangar since it was new.  I looked at it, convinced myself that I didn't want or need it but a week later I succumbed to my weakness. Long story short.....since I can't buy what I really want , an EarthRoamer (they start for around $400K),

 Dream ride!

the eighteen year old Chinook will have to do.   I've taken a short trip over to eastern Washington with Tiffany and have spent the past week down in Bend and along the Oregon coast on a solo run. After spending months on end in my pop-up truck camper over the past two years it's like I've moved into a mobile deluxe Hilton.  My fear is that all of these creature comforts are going to spoil Petey.  I hesitate to even call this camping as it should be referred to as "glamping". Not sure how long I'll hang on to it, I have a tendency of moving thru these things, but it's mine for awhile.  Plus, I may try and do some volunteering in one of the National Parks or do some work camping out west later this fall.  Living out of the pop up for an extended period just wasn't feasible. Not planning on selling the Four Wheel Camper pop up on my Tacoma as it will certainly take me places that the Chinook cannot. I've already put the Chinook somewhere it shouldn't have been and performed some stellar reverse driving to extract it.  Comfy yes, but does have one major fault....no four wheel drive! As I always say...there is no perfect rig. I'm planning on being back on the road soon for an extended period so we'll see how it works out long term. Thought I'd just throw up some pictures taken over the last few weeks of places the Chinook has taken us.

New, to me, adventure chariot!

After going about 8 miles up this road I had to back up from here for almost a mile before finding a wide enough spot to get it turned around.  Note to self....it's not an overland rig.

 Kayakers on the Cooper River in Washington (Class 4+)


Cold water plunge!

The Oregon Coast if by far the most scenic coastline I've ever been on.  Having driven it many times I never seem to tire of it and always seem to find some new area to hike and explore.  The picture taking is endless.

 Cape Meares

 Heceta Head Lighthouse





 Somewhere on the coastal drive.

 Evening sunset from camp.


South Beach State Park

 Heceta Head Lighthouse


 Dune surfing at Cape Kiwanda

Cape Kiwanda

Petey hiking the dunes.

Petey's campground tormentor.

7 comments:

  1. I understand your desire to look at all things RV. The good news is you then take action and buy sometimes. Fun! At first I thought you maybe got rid of the pop up, and wondered how you'd survive without the off-road ability, but I see you kept it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photis..
    Can't wait to see your new rig

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the great shots, I really enjoy seeing the world through your eyes. Travel safe. Ooooo Raaa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I take it you spent some time in the Corp!

      Delete
  5. Some creature comforts! We just sold our travel trailer and are back in our Jumping Jack. Gorgeous shots once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liberty....thanks for the compliments on the shots. I didn't know you had a travel trailer as well. You may have the same syndrome as me.

      Delete

We welcome all comments to the blog, but due to spammers, all comments will be approved by the moderator prior to posting. Thanks for your comments.