Sunday, October 11

Homer - Katmai National Park



Finally made it out to Homer, Alaska.  It's only 200 miles from Anchorage but it's taken me a week to cover that.  Trust me when I say there is a lot to see and do in that 200 miles.  That, along with the fact that I've got to be the slowest traveler in the world. A stop to take a piss break alongside the road can turn into a half-day delay for me if I spot something or someone that appears interesting. It's bad with me. Not like this when I've got someone with me as you have to make compromises for others but when solo it's a different story. Pretty sure that's why I like traveling by myself most of the time. Petey doesn't seem to give a damn what we do as long as it's not in the rain.  One thing that has been on my list of things to do, which there are many, was to fly out to Katmai National Park. It is regarded as one of the best places to view Grizzlies in the world.  I'd seen numerous articles over the years showing great photos of Grizzlies and they normally had been photographed either on Kodiak Island or in the Katmai National Park.  Homer is the jumping off point for both areas.  A ferry is available over to Kodiak Island and I had hoped to do this as well but the ferry schedule didn't work out for me.  They had to cancel a couple of the runs due to engine problems.  Had been telling myself for years that if I ever got to Homer that I'd get out to Katmai National Park.  After getting camp set up in Homer's Municipal Park Campground (great campground above Homer with a beautiful view of the spit) I began to check on flights out to Katmai.  I quickly found out......it's expensive. Only way to Kamai is by bush plane or a very long boat ride.  To fly out for just a few short hours to Katmai ranges from $675 to $750. Overnite trips are through the roof pricewise.  Since I was solo I figured maybe I could get a cheaper seat if I could find an outfitter who was going and had one empty seat they wanted to fill at the last minute.  I had a few days to spend here so the first morning after my arrival I went to a couple to see if they had any empty seats.  No joy on the first day so I spent it roaming around Homer where I met yet another interesting character the locals call the Spoon Guy.  Was fun hearing some of his stories about the area, his life and how he goes about making his spoon's.


Second day, no luck again.  It wasn't looking good and thought I might have to go ahead and bite the bullet on this one.  Spent day two checking out Homer which has the designation of being the "Halibut Capital of the World".  They catch halibut out here that can way in excess of 200 pounds!  Homer is a beautiful spot at the end of the road.  The Homer Spit features the longest road into ocean waters in the world, and was named one of the best 100 beaches in the United States for it's incredible views and variety of wildlife along the 4.5 mile trail that runs from its base to its tip - the true end of the road on Alaska's Hwy 1.

Homer Spit.  Shot taken from Homer Municipal Campground.

Beach on the Spit in Homer, Alaska
Of course, had to check out The Salty Dawg Saloon located on the Spit.  Famous bar and landmark in Homer. (not my pic - pilfered off the web)
Third day, I showed up at an outfitter about an hour before the flight and they were flying a Cessena 172 over with three paying passengers.  I approached the pilot and said.....it appears that your flight is going whether you fill that last seat or not.  It can go empty or I can put my ass in it and you can make $350 more dollars. He thought on it for a minute and then stated that if he didn't fill it right up to the last minute then he'd let me hop on for $350 if I could pay in cash and keep my mouth shut about it.  He wasn't even sure the flight was going to go as it was really windy.  He stated that it would be a last minute decision because of the winds.  No one showed up, conditions were barely acceptable, my cash was pocketed and we were off.  Had I known what a great experience it was going to be I'd of easily paid full fare.  It was the highlight of my entire trip. If I win the lottery I'm going back to Katmai and spending an entire summer.  It's a little over an hour flight out to Katmai where you make a beach landing and then hike in about a mile or so before you start spotting bears.  The bear viewing is everything you read about but the scenery and remoteness of the area does not take a backseat.  It is a beautiful area.  Crystal clear streams, snow covered peaks, glaciers, remote beaches, no development, pristine wilderness, wildlife. Words do not do it justice.  Conditions were tough for pictures as the wind was howling the 4 hours we were there.  Wanted to switch lenses a couple of times but no way that was going to happen with all the blowing sand.  I'll just have to go back when conditions are better!  



Landing on this beach took three passes before he set it down due to winds.  Lady in the back seat about crapped herself before it was over with.  I'll admit.....after the second go round I was beginning to wonder as well.

The star attraction.....










These coastal Grizzlies are magnificent creatures.  I could watch and photograph them for days on end and not get bored.  It amazes me that there are idiots out there who hunt them for sport.  Luckily, the tide may be turning and killing them for pure sport will hopefully be banned.  The sooner the better!  Go to the link Ban Sport Hunting of Grizzlies and show your support if you think this senseless killing should be stopped.




  

1 comment:

  1. Any brief stop can turn into a half day adventure? Sounds incredible! I dream of that type of travel someday. 5 more years to work, then a more flexible schedule...

    ReplyDelete

We welcome all comments to the blog, but due to spammers, all comments will be approved by the moderator prior to posting. Thanks for your comments.