Monday, August 31

BC - Yukon - Northwest Territory

South Canol Road - Yukon

Haven't had much chance to really do many posts since crossing the border back in late July other than short ones. Internet access has been sparse and when it was available it was way too slow to upload any pictures. Worked my way north up through British Colombia, Yukon and into the Northwest Territories where I crossed the Arctic Circle exploring as much off-road stuff as I could find.  Have done well over 2000 miles of gravel/dirt over the past few weeks.  Most of the time spent in the Yukon where I was able to do the South/North Canol Road, Robert Taylor Hwy and the Dempster. All of which are dirt/gravel tracks with beautiful scenery, wildlife and most important....few people.   This being my third time up here I told myself I was going to get off the beaten path as much as possible since I was in the truck/camper on this trip.  My current set up really works for me. It's a great way to travel up here allowing me to check out some more remote side roads.  I rode up last summer on my motorcycle (Suzuki Strom) after I lost Old Hank and before Petey showed up. Enjoyed the ride, as it was something I'd always wanted to do on a bike, but my travels this far north have been much more enjoyable this time around.  In fact, was lying in the camper last night listening to the rain outside as the temperature was rapidly falling while Petey was working his way to the bottom of the sleeping bag and thinking.....maybe I should sell the bike(s)?  Can't believe I'm considering it.  Not sure what the final outcome will be on that. Haven ridden all these years without a serious accident, maybe it's time. Besides, not sure I can bear to leave Petey behind when I take off for extended periods. Nothing like having a dry, warm camper to crawl into when it's cold and raining. When the weather turns for the worse, I can attest it's possible not to miss the motorcycle.

Anyway, this post will basically be some pictures with a brief explanation covering my progress to the north up until reaching the Dempster just outside of Dawson City. I covered a lot of ground, saw lots of sights before reaching the Dempster.  It took me about three weeks to reach Alaska where I've been since about mid August.  I took way too many pictures.  I'll try and keep it brief.  I'll get something posted on my drive up the Dempster Hwy to reach the Arctic Circle soon.


I came up via the AlCan highway and in certain sections it has some beautiful scenery.  I personally like the Cassiar better as it's less developed and seems to give up more wildlife sightings.  When I head south in a few weeks I plan on going back on the Cassiar.




Lots of places where one can simply pull off and camp for free.  When travelling for extended periods, free is good. I met a couple outside of Laird Hotsprings who were also travelling in a Four Wheel Camper like mine.  After a soak in the hot springs, I mentioned that I knew of an area a few miles up from the campground and if they wanted to save $26 and not stay in the hot springs campground to follow me.  I had pitched a tent here when I came up last year.  It's a great spot and the weather was perfect.  Dave and Kathy had been planning this trip for over 5 years, but medical and family issues kept getting in the way.  They finally had the "go key" and were on an 11 week trip to the north.  Kathy made us all dinner while Dave and I enjoyed some of his quality adult beverage.  After dinner, we sat around going over our itineraries, watching a couple of black bears off in the meadow as the sun dipped below the horizon around midnight.    


Had to make the tourist stop in Watson Lake at the famous sign park.  A military guy started this when they originally put the highway through here.  Started with a couple of signs and has now grown to over 55,000 at the last count.  People bring signs from all over the world here and Watson Lake has become an iconic stop when driving the AlCan.  All signs depict a town somewhere in the world.  While there I talked with a couple who were placing a sign from their hometown in Sweden.  Pretty interesting to just stroll around and see the different countries where people have visited from.

Tons of lakes.  All of which have great campsites on them.



Lots of wildlife.





With all the lakes comes lots of beavers.  White spots in the picture are mayflies.  There were thousands of them flying that evening.

Lots of porcupine on the Canol.  Had to really keep an eye on Petey here.  Being hundreds of miles from the nearest vet it would not have gone well if Petey  found one. 

Some of the wildlife remained fairly docile.

Another great campsite alongside one of the many lakes in the area.

Mile after mile of dirt roads.

All of which are a mess when wet.

Petey made a new friend.  This Husky, who pulls a sled in the winter months, wasn't quite sure about Petey.  This far north I don't think he'd ever seen anything like this!
Some fly fishing for Grayling's at a creek on the North Canol.

Dempster Highway and the first part of Alaska soon..........













1 comment:

  1. Don't feel compelled to keep it short when you post. :-)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome all comments to the blog, but due to spammers, all comments will be approved by the moderator prior to posting. Thanks for your comments.