Sunday, March 1

Detour

Broke camp early the following morning and back to the I-5 headed towards Sacremento to stay a night with an old friend, Bryan Paligo, formally from Bend.   We both worked as ski instructors at Mount Bachelor back in the day and were also known to play a little golf on occasion as well.  I also had a meeting set up with the owner/president of Four Wheel Campers in Woodland to discuss a possible business venture.  Made the meeting in Woodland and then rolled into Sacremento.  Bryan and I had fun discussing old times and giving each other a hard time.  I refer to him as the "Hairless Asian" and he states that I'm the hairiest white man he's ever encountered.


Bryan had to leave early the following morning for work and with Bryan's suggestion hung out for about an hour to miss the rush hour traffic.  While hanging out and surfing the net I noted that Yosemite wasn't to far off the route, had no snow in the valley and the crowds would be minimal this time of the year.  I've been to Yosemite in the past on a few occasions and the crowds are unbelievable during the summer months.  I swore off ever going back in the summer.  End of February....I'm in.  Plus I don't know if I can stand another day droning down I-5 and need the diversion.  Hell, I don't have to be anywhere any time soon so why not.   Jumped on I-5 and hauled ass south to Modesto where I turned inland towards Yosemite.  Beautiful drive in but the temps were dropping rapidly as we headed up the pass.  Knew it was going to be cold camping that night.  I leave the Northwest for a warmer climate in Baja and what do I do......divert to Yosemite in February.   It was however, well worth it.

Petey checking out the valley after coming over the pass.


Weather was turning and the rain drops began dropping as we entered the valley.  With the temps headed south I figured it could possibly snow that night.  Drove through the valley to the upper end and got a campsite in Upper Pines which was all but deserted.    Petey and I went for about a two mile hike late that afternoon up towards Half Dome.  If you haven't been before, Yosemite is a beautiful area and should be on your bucket list.  Although the views are around every corner the real beauty of Yosemite abounds once you leave pavement.  The hiking and views are spectacular. Hiking back to camp I realized that the last time I was here was when the World Trade Centers were attacked.  I was on an extended backpacking trip and didn't even realize we had been attacked until three days after it happened.  After coming out of the back country I stopped at a little country store and was told the news.  They say you'll never forget where you were when 9/11 occurred.  I certainly won't.

The reason it should be on your bucket list depicted below.  Pictures, at least not mine, can't begin to show how stunning the scenery is.

















We survived the cold night and spent the following day messing around in the park.  Some short hikes, Ansel Adams Studio, the Awanahee Lodge and tourist watching.  When there is nothing else to do one can always be entertained watching the busloads of tourists.  I could write a book on their lack of common sense!  A ranger had told me that colder temps were expected so I left the park and headed out the southern entrance around 4 pm that afternoon.  Just didn't feel like dealing with another cold night.  He was right......found this shortly after leaving the valley and realized I'd made the right call.




Was only snowing up top and once some altitude was lost it cleared up.  Drove through a small fire at the base of the Sierra National Forest.  Weird seeing it snow and the fire still burning in small areas. This tree was still pouring smoke.  Main fire had been extinguished  and not even sure if it wasn't some type of controlled burn.  Found a level spot well after dark off a forest service road around Bass Lake and called it for the day.  


More to come as I continue south......





1 comment:

  1. oh my god your pictures are amazing! Makes me want to get in the camper and head towards your sanity..lol.auto correct is right this time...However I said Yosemite...not Your sanity

    ReplyDelete

We welcome all comments to the blog, but due to spammers, all comments will be approved by the moderator prior to posting. Thanks for your comments.